In 2017, Georgia’s Old Capital Museum relocated to Renaissance Park, the campus of the former Central State Hospital, in Milledgeville, Georgia. The Museum offices and meeting rooms are in the renovated “Just Imagine Cottage” at 95 Depot Circle Drive. In 2019, the name of the organization was changed to Georgia’s Old Capital Heritage Center at The Depot, Inc. (GOCHC), to reflect the organization’s expanded mission to renovate the adjacent train depot for a regional Heritage Center. This is a $5.5 M project and once completed, will include a Lobby/Native American Gallery, Theater/ Community Venue Space, Café, Book Store/Gift Shop, Exhibits, and Offices. The Just Imagine Cottage will then become a STEAM Education Center. This is an opportunity for GOCHC to save a third historically significant building in Milledgeville, as The Depot was built in 1891 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Museum owns and operates the 1825 Brown-Stetson-Sanford House in the Historic Downtown District of Milledgeville. This house museum hosts civic and social club meetings and events, tours for students and tourists, and GOCHC events.
Our Mission & Vision
Our Heritage Center and historic Museum House are an integral part of the City of Milledgeville, Baldwin County and State of Georgia’s commitment to preserving Georgia’s rich history that dates back to 10,000 BC. Since its founding in 1999, the mission of this organization is to identify, interpret, preserve, and communicate the historic, artistic, and cultural heritage of Milledgeville, Baldwin County, and the Oconee River basin through its educational programs and activities.
Shown right, students visiting the Brown-Stetson-Sanford house for the “War Comes to the Capital” tour in conjunction with their study of GA history. More than 3,000 students, members of civic and social groups, and tourists tour the house every year.
Our History of Service to Our Community and the State of Georgia:
1999, Georgia’s Antebellum Capitol Museum Society (GACMS) was established with the goal of building a museum of regional history on the ground floor of the Old Capitol Building in Milledgeville, GA.
2003, the Old Capital Historical Society merged with GACMS, and the Museum Society took ownership of the 1825 Brown-Stetson-Sanford House (BSSH) in the Historic District of Milledgeville.
2004, the name was changed to Georgia’s Old Capital Museum Society (GOCMS), to reflect the Museum’s expanded mission and Georgia’s Old Capital Museum opened to the public.
2006-2016, the Museum served over 90,000 visitors with an economic impact on this area of $4,193,482 (2009-2016). Our exhibits that will be moved into the Depot, recount regional history from 10,000 BC through the early twentieth century.
2017, Our Best Year Yet! The Museum moved its offices and meeting rooms to the newly renovated “Just Imagine Cottage” at 95 Depot Circle Drive in Renaissance Park, the campus of the former Central State Hospital, and launched the Destination: Depot Project to renovate the adjacent train depot for a regional Heritage Center.
2018, the deconstruction of the interior of The Depot was completed and area residents got a first look at the “reveal” during our Party with a Purpose.
2019, a surface water remediation project, the parking lot clean-up, and the purchase of the Just Imagine Cottage and 2 acres of adjacent land were completed.
2020, Three new ramps leading from the parking lot to the front doors of The Depot; Exterior Brick Stabilization
2022, The completion of the renovation of the former loading dock for an open-air community stage for events and the adjacent former offices for event support space
If you want to be remembered, do something memorable.
What better way to do something memorable than to help preserve Milledgeville’s history with your support of Georgia’s Old Capital Heritage Center at The Depot, Inc. The Heritage Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that owns and operates three historic properties: the 1825 Brown-Stetson-Sanford House in Milledgeville’s Downtown Historic District, The Cottage with offices and meeting rooms adjacent to The Depot on the campus of the former Central State Hospital campus, and The Depot, future home of the Heritage Center and exhibits on the history of this area, a café, bookstore, theater, open-air community stage, and STEAM summer classes.
GOCHC is supported entirely by memberships, donations, fundraisers, and grants. Your donation enables us to “Tell the Stories” and keep Milledgeville history alive for generations to come.